Monday, June 6, 2011

Orientation

Today was orientation for new volunteers, and I think I have a really good clue about how things might be hereafter. Granted, I was a little perturbed when I got up at 6 o'clock this morning, I discovered that it was well worth getting up for.

I registered for the employee and volunteer orientation because I wanted to get a foretaste of what kind of people I would possibly be seeing and working around in the future. I met a nurse, and one person in the "class" was a security guard that will work here, and I even met one person who will be going to medical school after she takes a year off. I really admire her, because that is where I want to be in 10 or so years. Not now, because I really need the experience with the patients and the staff before I go for medical school. Overall, it was a laid-back setting, and I think that I will enjoy volunteering here.

We went over privacy policies and all that kind of fun stuff. It was quite dry, but the person who presented did a pretty good job trying to get people to follow along. It would be quite easy to lose people in the droning on and on of the policies and stuff here, but they are important to all that are employed or volunteering here. It's good to pay attention to this kind of stuff, because you never know when it will come in handy.

I can't wait until I start next week (I don't start until then because I'm a part of a research study and I have to do some things for that on Thursday), and I can't wait to meet some more of the staff and become friendly with them. I also can't wait to meet some of the other people here as well, such as some of the patients and their families. I just can't wait period. Right now, I'm going to read some more, maybe post later, and perhaps get lost in the underground tunnels. Catch you all later!

LiL A

No comments:

Post a Comment