Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My Journey Begins

Where did my journey start? It all began with my floundering around in the Traditional Undergraduate program at the Christian school that I attend. I wanted to become a music director originally, and I would have never given Nursing a thought. As time went by, my mind changed gradually, and my interest in Nursing and medicine blossomed. I went from Music major, to Biblical Studies, Theology, Youth Ministry and then finally I decided that the Traditional Undergraduate program couldn't offer me what I desired. I transferred into the Adult and Graduate Studies program, finally settling on the Nursing major.

So far, this is a major that I have loved. I have to complete one more year of prerequisites, then I will be starting the Nursing core of my major by Fall of 2012. I am excited, but I am also nervous. My life has changed a lot since enrolling in college, and I can't wait to start the program and see how I will be further changed in the future (right now, I am learning about the relationship between the physician/nurse and the patient and I am being allowed to hear positions from both sides on this issue) .

My classes are online for now, and I love this. It gives me the freedom that I need to have a job and do the things that I need to prepare for a position as an RN. I was thinking of volunteering at a hospital near close to where I live. One in particular has benefits that I could really use (the interview for the volunteer position that I want is tomorrow), and I pray that I will be given the position.

I'm a dreamer, as I desire to get into medical school eventually. I have been told by other people that I have the ability to do this, but I still am only looking into completing my MD in the future (I still have a ways to go before I would be taking the MCAT tests for admission into medical school). I really believe I can do this and want to show the world that I can follow my dreams no matter the odds, and be an inspiration for those who follow in my footsteps. I am the daughter of a single mother, therefore, I do not have the assets or aid that other people would have who are enrolled in medical school, but I believe that if I am called here, that the money will not be the issue.

I have my own philosophy as someone who cares for people when they may not be feeling the best. The patient is first, not me nor any other thing, such as acceptance, popularity, power, position, or money. It is easy for people to fall into the trap of thinking that these things bring them happiness, but I know that I could have all this and still not be totally happy. I have been graced to get only a glimpse of this in my life, but not enough to corrupt me. I have discovered that one can be happy without these things (I know that you need to have money to live and that it can be hard when you don't have any of it, but it doesn't have to dictate your life).

I don't know what life has in store for me, but I know that it will be a tumble that will be filled with its share of both laughs and tears (it has been in the past). There may be times where I want to give up, but I must keep on and never give up. After all, I have made it this far, why throw in the towel now?

I also know that life will have its share of lessons for me to learn. I have learned a lot so far, but I still have a lot to learn. I am ready for these lessons.

I can't wait until I start working as an RN. Right now, however, I can't wait until I start volunteering!

On the other hand, I still need to work, and I'm not looking forward to this. This job will be something that is basic, such as fast food work or retail work. I'm definitely not looking forward to this, but at least it would be something that brings in money for food. Eating is good, not eating is bad; I want to eat. I will do what I have to do, and I will do my best at it, because it is only temporary and it will still be something where I can serve others.

Here I am, starting to let my dreams run wild. While I know that it will be difficult to get where I want to be, I also know it will be rewarding. As I end, my dreams continue to run wild while reality is sitting on my back, constantly tugging and reminding me that my dreams are unrealistic, and are just that, dreams. I ignore reality for a time, as my dreams will help to get me where I want to go in life. I plunge into my world of dreams as I open up the window for my online classes. This is the good life!

No comments:

Post a Comment