Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My New Laptop

So I’ve been off for a little while, and you are probably wondering why. My old computer was going on the fritz, resorting to forcing me to spend hours doing work that would normally take me only a matter of minutes to do. I counted the seconds between freezing episodes, and the most time I had between them was a grand total of five seconds. Last night, I finally realized, after becoming extremely frustrated at the computer and threatening to throw it out my window a few times, that it was probably best for me to get a new laptop. This one had served its time and was going to become a money pit.

The work this laptop would have needed was extensive. It was going to need to have its operating system custom installed, which would have preserved none of my programs. I would have then needed to buy and reinstall the Office Suite that I would have lost, as I do not have the original discs or code for the computer. On top of it, the battery had no life (less than 3 minutes) and the charging port would have needed to be replaced. It would have been more money than it was worth, and there was no way that I could have done what was needed to get it up and running smoothly and get it back to where it was needed without putting major money into it. It just wasn’t worth the headache and the cost.

So I’ve gone from HP to Samsung, and my HP is now being retired to the equivalence of DVD player. It has been with me for about 1 ½ years, but it has been around for about 3 years. The custom installed operating system is falling down around its ears. It’s only a matter of time before the thing actually stops working, turning off only never to turn back on again.

So now I have to go to a new love. It almost feels like I am cheating, having an affair with another laptop, while my old HP sits in the room, watching me schmooze over the new Windows 7 Samsung. I know that this is not the case, which I am only upgrading to a more reliable system, but I still feel an attachment to my old laptop. That thing has been with me during some really rough times in my life, and has served me well. I guess it is time for me to let it go, and put the laptop into a computer retirement home, or at least retire it to less strenuous exercise.

Other than that, I like the new laptop. I like the look of it, the 4 gigabyte RAM is really great, and much better than the constricted RAM of my old laptop. I don’t have it freezing every five seconds, as I was able to complete this post in the matter of a few minutes rather than a few hours, as what happened on my old laptop. It’s faster on the internet when it wants to be, and is much lighter than my old 17 inch. What I don’t like about it is that it feels like it is pretty cheap. I feel like if I dropped it, it would shatter in a thousand little pieces. Overall, I think it will take time for me to adjust to the new laptop and system.

No comments:

Post a Comment