Friday, June 17, 2011

Books: The Key to Success

So I'm currently enrolled in Human Anatomy and Physiology, and I am in week 7 of a 10 week course. The bad thing is that I wasn't able to get the main book for the class until now. I won't get it for another week, so let's hope that I don't fail any more tests (I failed the two on the skeleton).

Let's just say that I have had to be resourceful in order to pass the other tests. I did happen to get a 95% on the first test on muscle anatomy, so that is great, but I know that it may only be a fluke. I could end up failing the next one without having my book. That is why, as soon as the money came in for it, I got the book that I needed.

The moral of the story: order your books ahead of time. If you can't, let me warn you that it will be tough and will require a lot of discipline and you may or may not get the right information. Get the book, as it will give you the information required to pass the course.

There are means of getting the book at reduced costs. You can get them used, which will cut your cost for the book in as much as half. You can also rent your book from such websites as Chegg and Bookrenter, but you will not be able to keep your book. If it is something that you will use later in your major, your best bet is to go more expensive and buy the book. Some people have also advised getting older editions, and I want to speak a word of warning against this. If you are going into such fields as Psychology and Medicine, there will be new information that will be in the textbook and old information that has been either proven wrong or obsolete. Go for the current edition required in class, or you might work off of old, faulty information. If it is something that isn't changing all the time or if it is for a class such as English, a foreign language, or even economics, then you might be able to get away with an older version, especially if the required book is a novel. However, some foreign language books, such as Greek or Hebrew, may have errors in older versions that you may not catch. In this case, always cross-reference versions with someone else in the class.

As always, study hard and take care of yourself. Get proper sleep, eat right, and exercise. All of these come together to help you succeed in college so that you will be able to walk down the aisle on graduation day with your head held high.

No comments:

Post a Comment