Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Dreamer


Dreams, what are these worth to people? To some, dreams are interference, a wall that ends up splitting people from the world of reality. To others, dreams are reality, the means that they can use to do great things for many people. I am no exception. My ultimate dream is to become a doctor, to transcend the barriers of poverty that have so easily constrained me for many years. I know that I can do it, but how is another question. I will need help, but where will that help come from. I don’t know now, but I know that I will meet many people along the way and that I will touch the lives of these people in very special ways. I have already touched the lives of others. People look to me for inspiration, a sort of example of what perseverance entails.

My life hasn’t been the perfect life. I am the image of a broken person, a person that has been made new through experience and relationship. Through my times of brokenness I have learned to value things more than some of my counterparts. For the most part, family is very important, a sort of cheerleader troupe to encourage you through life. Each of us is given a different family, and whether we are born into a family who cares or not is pure luck. For those that are born into a loving family, I have discovered that a lot of people take this for granted. They tend to resent the kind of care that their family has for them. For those not born into a loving family, I have discovered that they resent not being loved. What does this mean? This only demonstrates that the world is not perfect, and that we, as people, are not content. The best that we can get is a temporary sense of elation, but true happiness is often elusive. Where is this true happiness? I think that true happiness is not found in things or even people, but in simple living and loving God and others. In realizing this, I hope that I can provide better care for my patients.

I admit, I am a dreamer; I hope to teach others in medicine and hope to be taught myself. However, my heart is for the poor and the hurting, which is what drives me to become the best physician I can be. My vision is to help the poor, as I have been helped by others in the past. I want others to receive the kind of compassionate care that I have received in the past, despite not being able to afford the care. Who are we to decide who gets medical care and who doesn’t? It is not up to us as physicians to turn people away who need it. That is why I want to work with the poor. On top of it, I have discovered that some of the best stories come from those who are poor, and I want to hear those stories and learn from those who have learned a lot. I refuse to turn these people away like they have been turned away in the past.

Like I mentioned before, I need help to realize this dream. In order to fulfill my dream, I need help, from studying for the MCATs to financial help for medical school. I ask that you pray about what you feel is in your heart to give. I will take just about anything, as that will help me to turn my dreams into reality and to turn my dreams into something that will benefit the world. Like my persuasion teacher said, “God transforms nations through transformed people.” Please help me transform nations through my transformed self.

No comments:

Post a Comment